Thursday, May 30, 2013

a new commitment: praying in big ways only


First of all, how y'all diggin the new blog layout? *holler!* okay, it's obvious I am pretty excited about it. I was going through a stage of "bloggers block," and I realized is was mainly due to my desire to redesign my blog theme. It's crazy how once we enjoy the way our blogs look it inspires us that much more to write! (or is that just me?!) I don't know. I just know that when your really passionate about blogging like I am and many of you are, I want my page to look DANG good. You know what I'm sayin?!

I can't believe how good God is, guys! I am honestly so overwhelmed with His faithfulness, and how much He truly loves the each of us. I have never experienced such an intimate personal experience with God as a did a few days ago when He answered my prayer to find a roommate. All of my hope was gone, and I was beginning to think that God had forgotten me. But no, at the last minute, God answered my prayer. He heard my cry.

"But God did listen!
He paid attention to my prayer.
Praise God, who did not ignore my prayer
or withdraw His unfailing love from me."
Psalm 66:19-20


 It got me to thinking, just how much POWER we have through prayer as followers of Christ.

No I'm not talking become an evil super hero and take over the world type of power, I'm talking power that comes straight from Jesus and Jesus alone.  This power through prayer that we have as followers of Jesus allows for God to intercede into our lives, in BIG ways. It allows for Him to do the IMPOSSIBLE in our lives, that we could never do on own.  It allows for God to show us just how powerful, almighty, and extremely real He is.

I used to doubt prayer, and I honestly thought it was straight up weird. "Ha, praying to Jesus? He isn't listening! He's at church, not anywhere near us! Your just talking to yourself out loud, God can't hear you!" Yes, I sadly would say things like that. It's because I didn't really know Jesus at all, let alone that He desired to have a relationship with me. Now that I KNOW Him and am beginning to understand just how really extremely faithful this God of the Universe is, my prayer life is beginning to change tremendously.

I want to commit to praying BIG from here on out in my life. I want to pray every day in a way that allows God to do the impossible in my life. I'm tired of praying the weak prayers, the ones where I doubt God's power and sovereignty over my life and give Him no room to work in my life miraculously. I want to be in awe of How God responds to my BIG prayers, all the time. It's time that I commit to praying in a way that recognizes God for who He REALLY is- all powerful, ever knowing, omnipotent, awesome, etc...

What is your guys prayer life like? What do you guys find the hardest thing about praying to God and giving Him the power to work in BIG ways through your life? I'd love to hear! I'm all ears, friends! :).

Ps- if you guys could be praying that my roommate and I find a place to live that is in God's will, that would be wonderful! Also, I could use some prayers that God would help me find a summer job that's in His will for me!

Love you all!


xoxo

12 comments:

  1. Hey sweet sister,
    LOVE your new blog layout~ very beautiful! The header and your picture look so fab!!!

    I love this post~ and it encourages me so! I am learning/putting into practice similar things...love God and His amazingness!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely what I needed to hear today, friend. <3 Also loveeee the new blog design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayer is something that I think I need to work at. I definitely DO pray, but not nearly enough! At school my nightly ritual was kneeling by my bed every night and praying for family, friends, world crises and my own life. Since I've been home though I find that I stay up too late on the computer or reading, and when I go to bed I'm too tired to do this! This post has encouraged me to still make that special nightly prayer time, as well as prayer time at other parts of the day!

    xoxo Miss ALK
    http://missalk1994.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Jessica! Prayer SHOULD be big, because He's a big God and He can receive MORE glory when we pray BIG prayers.

    Cute new look, too! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And psst! I've got your blog button up on my buttons page! :D

      Delete
  5. Wow I am so inspired by this post, it's just so beautiful!!!! I want to pray in big ways and know our God is a big God :) You are so precious, sweet friend.

    Love ya!

    XO
    Erin

    sweetnessitself.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen!!! I want to continue praying in BIG ways too and see God provide!! Thanks for this girl! love Katie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously girl, could we be more on the same wavelength?!? I'm totally getting bloggers block and have spent all week thinking about how I want to change my blogs whole look. Yours looks amazing! I hope mine looks this good once I'm done!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen!! Love this post girl! Too often, I pray to God halfheartedly, almost doubting His power, like you said! It's ridiculous. I'm so happy to have read this post. It's a great reminder that God is faithful, always caring and always listening.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, I'm loving the picture of the verse--so pretty and it's so true! Also, I totally know what you mean about how redesigning your blog makes you write more! I'm in that stage right now with some more posts coming up :)

    Secondly, I loved what you said about prayer. About remembering to pray about BIG things and pray for big things. Because nothing is big for the Lord. I struggle some with remembering to pray consistently and intentionally. I pray more often than I used to, but I should get into the habit of praying more specifically and routinely. I think it's also hard to feel that your prayers do something right then and there. That's why I love writing down my prayers and looking back through them to see what God did afterwards.

    But thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on prayer and making me think more about my own prayer life!

    xo, gina

    ReplyDelete