Thursday, December 26, 2013

Condemnation versus Conviction


above: a photo I took and put on my instagram page today. I was walking the river trail by my house. Isn't Jesus an incredible artist?!

Winter break this year has been wonderful. It's been great being home with the family, and also just relaxing a whole bunch. However, I won't lie to you, there has been some struggle in it too. The closer I get to Jesus, the more opposition I notice I am facing from the enemy, who loves to attack me spiritually. 

When I make a mistake, when I get grumpy and I talk to my parents in a way that isn't nice, the enemy is right there ready to yell at me saying things like: "You are a failure," or "God can't forgive THAT sin." It's all lies, but somehow in the midst of my crazy mind, I find myself believing those lies at times.

Therefor there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. 
Romans 8:1

So how are we supposed to recognize the voice of the enemy talking to us, versus the voice of Jesus, gently nudging us to do what is right? For me, it's been through consistent prayer of figuring this one out. I've prayed for discernment in this area of my life, and that the Lord would help me to recognize His voice over the enemy's.

Jesus will say things to me like "You shouldn't have talked to your dad that way. Ask him to forgive you, and tell him your sorry." The enemy however, will say things like: You messed up BIG time. God is really mad at you, and there is no hope. The enemy is a liar, and we must stand strong against him my friends! God warns us in scripture that the enemy is constantly on the prowl for followers of Jesus like us, because he wants to tempt us to follow the ways of this world.

"Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour."
1 Peter 5:8

Most importantly, let us remember friends that in Christ we are O V E R C O M E R S. Through Jesus we can do all things that would be impossible without Him.

"For I am the LORD, your God, who takes a hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." 
Isaiah 41:13

Are you feeling burnt out in your walk with Jesus lately? Do you notice that the closer you get to Him, the more spiritual opposition you face? Stay strong my friends! My prayer today is that we each would stand firm in our faith. Help me to do that father.

I love you guys!

love always, Jess

6 comments:

  1. This is excellent, Jessica! Thank you for sharing!

    http://agodfashionedlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this distinction, Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Are you feeling burnt out in your walk with Jesus lately? Do you notice that the closer you get to Him, the more spiritual opposition you face?" Umm...Yes!!

    Thanks so much for the encouragement in this post, Jessica! I'm so grateful for your words and the Word. I hope you have an wonderful weekend :)

    xo, gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen amen amen. I have been struggling in so many areas in my walk of faith and this has been a main one. Definitely have been letting the Enemy get to me more often than I should. I know God is my strength and hope against all this! In Him we can do anything! Thanks for sharing your heart today, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love this & needed this!! I've been struggling with trying to decipher the two lately!! Oh, & I just read your weight loss story - AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen!! Thank you!! it's so true. I constantly have battles in my thought life and know that I need to pray pray pray as He will overcome!!!

    ReplyDelete