Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Guest Post: Lori from The Novel Endeavor!


Hi friends! Today I have a very special new friend of mine on the blog today. Isn't it crazy how you can meet so many awesome people through this virtual space? I love it! Everyone meet Lori from The Novel Endeavor!

Lori is a wife, mom, introvert, and lover of all things books. Her and her husband Chris have worked with college students and traveled throughout the world as missionaries with Cru for the last eight years. About a year ago, they welcomed home their spunky baby girl, Aliana, through adoption. Lori says that Aliana has brought such joy and laughter to their home and has also taught them a lot about herself and her faith in the process! She enjoys reading and writing (always with a warm cup of coffee) and is passionate about adoption and pursuing Jesus above all else.

Lori's post today is titled: "My Flesh Dwells Secure." Take it away Lori! It is an honor to have you on the blog today :) 



Security. So much is wrapped up in that one word that we use so often. As humans, security is a high value for us; we want security in our finances, jobs, relationships, and in our physical safety. But, there’s also a desire for security in our identity, who we are. This might not always be easily observed, but just think about the opposite – all those insecurities that nag at the back of our minds. They voice themselves in questions that run on an infinite loop in our heads…

Am I doing a good enough job?
Will they even like me?
Do these jeans look tight on me?
Is all my hard work worth it?
Will anyone even read this blog post?

Okay, maybe that last question was mine, but I think you know what I’m talking about!

Recently, I have been meditating on Psalm 16 and, let me tell you, it’s one that you could dwell on for days. It’s that good. But these are the verses that have really stuck in my mind:

I have set the Lord always before me;
because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.
Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices;
my flesh also dwells secure.
[Psalm 16:8-9]

What does it mean to “set the Lord always” before us? It means that we let him lead us; we surrender our control, insecurities, and demands to follow him. Let’s be real, this isn’t easy. But there are a myriad of benefits waiting when we take that step to yield to his ways, his wisdom, and his plans. God’s plans, while not always first on our priority list, are actually the ones that are the best for us; he loves his children and sets apart good things for them.

The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup;
you hold my lot.
The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.
[Psalm 16:5-6]

God holds our plans and our futures, but that shouldn’t be a scary thing. In vv. 5-6, we see that he has given us good things, and desires to continue to do so.

Even more than plans and futures, he gives us the security that seems to evade us day to day; he continues to affirm our identity when we are setting earthly things before us rather than him. Verse 8 says that we “shall not be shaken.” When we are led by God, we will not be tossed about by the whims and words of the world around us. We are grounded in something much stronger. Verse 9 says that our hearts will be “glad” and our whole beings will “rejoice”! Joy and gladness are two characteristics of a very satisfied and contented soul, a soul that is affirmed and safe in the leadership of its Creator.

And, finally, our “flesh also dwells secure” (v. 9). I just physically let out an exhausted sigh of relief! How freeing is it to be able to rest because you feel secure and safe? It is possible, but it takes the conscious act of surrendering to our natural tendencies every day.

But, guess what? God has given us a generous portion and a beautiful inheritance AND abundantly more! He has given us his son, Jesus. His son. And through Jesus, he has blessed us with our justification (right standing before him) based on his works, not ours. Believe me, Jesus’s works, and everything else about him, are perfect; ours aren’t just in case you were wondering! So we can have even greater security, more abundant joy, and a radiant gladness about us just because we have Jesus, the greatest gift of all.

Check out the lavishness of God’s love to us shown through Jesus:

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
[Romans 8:1]

He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?
[Romans 8:32]

These verses are astounding! I am a sinner, born and raised, and I stand before the Lord perfectly loved and lavished upon by him. [Insert spiritual yummy here.]

There is nothing in the world, no religion, food, drug, or relationship, which can bring security and love like our God can. God has demonstrated his love and commitment to us by sending Jesus, his perfect son, to die in order that we might live. He has already shown us that he is trustworthy to follow, so let’s “set the Lord always before [us]” so that we can rest secure.

Connect with Lori on social media below!!!!!!

Instagram: @TheNovelEndeavorLori
Facebook: The Novel Endeavor
Twitter: @novelendeavor
Pinterest: novelendeavor

Please go check out her awesome blog too!!!! 
www.thenoveleendeavor.com 


1 comment:

  1. Amen!

    Btw: The Link at the end isn't working.

    God bless you!
    Gabriel

    ReplyDelete